As summer approaches, you may notice an increase in the number of insects buzzing around outside. People with an allergy to stinging insects will want to take extra precautions this time of year.
Up to 5 percent of Americans are at risk for a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction from insect stings.
Unfortunately, most people are not aware they are allergic to insect stings or bites until after experiencing a reaction. An allergic reaction occurs when the immune system overreacts to the insect venom.
Recognize Severe Allergic Reactions:
With a serious or life-threatening response to bites or stings, call 9-1-1. The reaction may progress within minutes. Any of the following may happen:
Swelling including lips, tongue, ears, eyelids, palms of hands, and soles of feet;
Stomach discomfort; or
When You Can’t Avoid Contact with Insects or Spiders:
- Learn bite or sting symptoms, knowing the difference between those that are uncomfortable and those that are dangerous.
Human reactions to stings and bites vary widely from those who are unaffected, to others who have life threatening allergic reactions and need immediate medical attention.
Keep safety in mind…It will save your behind!!
Download flyer: STOTW_422_OutdoorSafety.pdf (335.92 kb)
Download Spanish flyer: STOTW_422_OutdoorSafety_esp.pdf (336.36 kb)