Safety Tip of the Week – Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, toxic gas that interferes with the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood. CO is non-irritating and can overcome persons without warning. Many people die from CO poisoning, usually while using gasoline powered tools and generators in buildings or semi-enclosed spaces without adequate ventilation.

Symptoms of CO exposure:

  • Headaches, dizziness, and drowsiness; and
  • Nausea, vomiting, tightness across the chest.

Preventing CO Exposure:

  • Never use a generator indoors or in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces such as garages, crawl spaces, and basements. Opening windows and doors in an enclosed space may prevent CO buildup.

  • Make sure the generator has 3-4 feet of clear space on all sides and above it to ensure adequate ventilation.

  • Do not use a generator outdoors if placed near doors, windows, or vents that could allow CO to enter and build up in occupied spaces.

  • When using space heaters and stoves, ensure that they are in good working order to reduce CO buildup and never use in enclosed spaces or indoors.

  • Consider using tools powered by electricity or compressed air, if available.

  • If you experience symptoms of CO poisoning get to fresh air right away and seek immediate medical attention.

Safety rules are your best tools… 


Download flyer: STOTW_509_Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.pdf (955.21 kb)

Download Spanish flyer: STOTW_509_Carbon Monoxide Poisoning_esp.pdf (956.35 kb)

You may also like...