Safety Tip of the Week- Insect Bites and Stings

Bee sting

Bee Sting

Bites and stings are a relatively common occurrence for people who work outdoors and in enclosed environments where bees and wasps, fire ants, insects and arachnids (spiders, scorpions, ticks and mites) feel at home.

People with an allergy to stinging insects will want to take extra precautions this time of year. Up to 5 percent of Americans are at risk for a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction from insect stings.

Unfortunately, most people are not aware they are allergic to insect stings or bites until after experiencing a reaction. An allergic reaction occurs when the immune system overreacts to the insect venom.

Recognize Severe Allergic Reactions:

With a serious or life-threatening response to bites or stings, call 9-1-1. The reaction may progress within minutes. Any of the following may happen:

  • Shock;
  • Difficulty breathing;
  • Swelling including lips, tongue, ears, eyelids, palms of hands, and soles of feet;
  • Dizziness;
  • Disorientation;
  • Stomach discomfort; or
  • Hives.
Download flyer: STOTW_736_Insect Bites and Stings

Download Spanish flyer: STOTW_736_Insect Bites and Stings_esp

You may also like...