The holidays are one of the most festive, and therefore, most decorated times of year. It is during this brief period of time that we literally deck the halls with as many lights and decorations as we can stand.
Unfortunately, the holiday season is also one of the busiest for firefighters. All the beautiful lights that you string across your home can present a serious electrical hazard if the proper precautions are not taken.
Holiday Safety Tips:
- Inspect electrical decorations for damage before use.
- Do not overload electrical outlets.
- Never connect more than three strings of incandescent lights.
- Keep trees fresh by watering daily.
- Use battery-operated candles.
- Keep combustibles at least three feet from heat sources.
- Protect cords from damage.
- Check decorations for certification label.
- Stay in the kitchen when something is cooking.
- Turn off, unplug, and extinguish all decorations when going to sleep or leaving the house.
HAVE A SAFE AND HEALTHY HOLIDAY SEASON!
Download flyer: STOTW_851_Holiday Safety Download Spanish flyer: STOTW_851_Holiday Safety_esp